Monday 29 October 2012

The London Screenwriters Festival 2012 - A life changing weekend

So, it's been a while since I've posted anything but rest assured that is not to say things have not been happening. As well as attending a screenwriting workshop I have also started collaborating on a feature film in Bristol, my second radio play is soon to be recorded, I've begun adapting two of my plays into a feature and a television series, I have a short film in the pipeline and am currently writing a sitcom pilot which I'm going to make myself - more on that toward the end. I don't write enough posts but as you can see, I've been busy, however now a lot of groundwork has been done I will (he says) write more specifically about these things at a later date.

In the meantime I want to talk about the London Screenwriters Festival 2012 which I arrived home from only hours ago. Quite simply; you have to go next year. If you are reading this blog because you are wannabe screenwriter you simply HAVE to go. That's all there is to it.

The weekend brought together five hundred delegates, including myself, from all different backgrounds and stages in their careers. The festival organiser, Chris Jones (author of the Guerilla Film Makers Handbook no less!), and his team of fellow writers, professionals and exceptional volunteers put together a three day program that will not fail in inspiring a writer. International script writers and script editors, producers, film theorists, film makers and executives, both from the US and UK, were there to talk about the process of screenwriting, the industry itself and with The Great British Pitchfest you have the chance to start making some really strong connections with people who are already making compelling and award winning drama. As an example of the caliber of guest speakers; David Yates, Mike Leigh, Noel Clarke, Rob Grant, Ralf Little. These are people who have been in the film and television industry for years, all with different backgrounds so whatever area you're looking to go into you will find something to inspire you. A personal highlight for me was chatting to Ralf Little about life as fellow actor and writer and balancing both within the industry.
Chris Jones - Festival Director, Writer and Inspiration

These were all great big-name speakers but the workshops were even more inspiring for me; hearing people like screenwriter and script consultant Mary Kate O'Flanagan deconstruct a whole thriller feature film in order to demonstrate the beats and sequences needed to create great dramatic tension. That is something I can take away and apply to my writing as could every person in that room who was as equally engrossed with her method of demonstrating the craft in her own unique way. Similarly Mary Kate moderated a session with Lisa Albert, a writer on US hit series Mad Men. To see and hear the episode deconstructed live with with the actual episode writer of such a prolific show was eye-opening. My question for Lisa was how long it took to write an episode?'. Her answer; about EIGHT days. If you've seen Mad Men that is an enormous feat for such a quality product. Yet as daunting as that sounded it made me feel that if I stick at this then, where finishing a script can feel like a grind, my experience and hard work will get me to a point where it will be easier (never easy - quite right) and I love the thought that it WILL be my career (not necessarily on Mad Men...though I'd take it if offered!)

Lisa Albert - Mad Men Writer/Producer
The opportunities available at the festival were astonishing; none more so than being able to pitch to some top executives behind projects such as The King's Speech, Sherlock (TV), The Count of Monte Cristo, Apocalypto, Cabin in the Woods. I could do a long list but the point is these are a handful of projects from talented and influential people who will sit down and listen to your ideas. Who knows; you may get a business card, they may ask to see a script. Whatever the connection you get some genuine feedback from those who are making the films and television shows you love and are inspired by. I managed to get a few cards and a few treatments asked for which I was happy with considering I haven't been writing for the screen for long. But at the very least getting feedback from these people was vital and it immediately made me think about my projects and how I could improve them for dramatic and commercial reasons.

I can't possible mention everyone who inspired me but my point is there will  be plenty of people there to inspire you, not to mention the delegates themselves. Meeting with other writers and talking about their projects and experiences as well as your own is such a fulfilling experience. I have met so many creative and interesting people this weekend and collected their business cards (you HAVE to take business cards!) and I'm confident that with some of those people I will build a dialogue even if just for feedback purposes. However I'm just as confident that I'll click with someone and perhaps collaborate on something. This is what happens when you expand your network and this is what all writers who are serious about making this their career must do. If anything the weekend turned my cynical perception of what 'networking' was from being 'false to people you need to impress' into the attitude of 'making friends with people I like and want to work with in the industry I want to work in'. Because of this weekend I now have the basis of a very good contact database of writers and film-makers.


During Chris Jones' final closing speech yesterday he got us to turn to our neighbour and commit to doing something in the next year and coming back to talk about it in 2013. He asked if anyone wanted to share. As well as some others I stood up with a microphone in front of over five-hundred writers, directors, producers; industry beginners and professionals and said 'I am going to make a sitcom pilot this year'. I've said it now. It's out there. I'm going to do it. This festival has made me realise that's it's up to me if I want to make it happen. So...I'm going to do it! Fuck it.

I could gush on even more about the weekend but I won't. However I'll probably refer back to this festival in my upcoming posts such was the significance of the weekend for me. It really was a life changing experience which is why, as I said, you simply HAVE to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment